Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup Recipe





I love to cook! One of my favorite inspirations for creating new recipes is making
food for and with my friends. It is one of the ways I show my love for them to
nourish them. Here is an example of how I create an recipe. I was having brunch
with a dear friend and he asked me if I had a recipe to make butternut squash soup.
I didn’t at the time but I had created an oven-roasted butternut squash recipe for
another friend of my a couple months before. A few days later I decided to make
soup to take to a friend’s house and used the roasted butternut squash recipe as
the base for a yummy creamy butternut soup recipe. I taste tested this recipe with
another dear friend and a fellow naturopathic doctor, Deirdre Orceyre, and it was a hit.  It is simple recipe and a nice complement to meal. Here it is. Enjoy!

Oh! By the way, I did send the recipe to my friend too. After all, he was the one that
got my juices simmering to create the soup in the first place! I hope it nourishes you
too.





Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

6 cups of  butternut squash peeled and diced ( approximately 1 butternut squash)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon of sea salt
½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
½ teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
4 cup of vegetable broth
½ teaspoon of maple syrup
½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon of coriander
½ teaspoon of fresh squeezed lemon juice


Preheat the oven to 375.  Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
In a bowl toss the squash, extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, pepper, nutmeg until well coated.  Place the squash on parchment paper and bake for 40-50 minutes until the squash is tender.  Put butternut squash in the blender along with the vegetable broth, maple syrup, cinnamon, coriander, ginger and lemon juice.  Puree for 2 minutes.   Pour the pureed soup into a soup pot and bring to a rolling boil.  Turn off heat and serve.

Food Facts on butternut squash:
The key healing quality for butternut squash and winter squash in general is its
antioxidant qualities. The beautiful orange color lets us know that there is plenty
of beta carotene, which is the pre-cursor to Vitamin A, which is important for cell
healing. There have been studies that show these squashes have anti-inflammatory,
insulin-regulating properties for diabetes as well.
Live Vibrantly,
Dr. Dae

No comments:

Post a Comment