Thursday, January 27, 2011

Sweet Sauteed Kale Video and Recipe by Dr. Dae



Early in my practice I realized that many of my patients didn't know how to prepare green leafy vegetables. I actually found out many of my patient had not even tasted different types of green leafy vegetables!  So I when I started doing cooking demonstrations I often chose different green leafy vegetables to teach people how easy it can be to prepare them.  One of my favorite green leafy veggies to prepare is kale.  It is quick easy and tastes great. Kale is part of the cruciferous vegetable family along with its cousins broccoli, cabbage, collards and Brussel sprouts, just to name a few in the family.  Kale has been shown to have antioxidant and anti inflammatory phytochemicals so it is great for anyone having cardiovascular disease, skin diseases, blood sugar problems, or stressful lifestyles.  Kale has also been studied for it's anti-cancer properties as well because of kale's number of antioxidant phytochemicals. Kale has been shown to have cholesterol lowering benefits that are highest when kale is steamed.

Kale has a high amount of Vitamin A, C and K.  It it also a good source of Calcium. Kale's growing season is from the middle of winter to the beginning of spring.  It can be found almost year around in local grocery stores.

You can find this recipe in my book Daelicious! Recipes for Vibrant Living Sweet Sauteed Kale page 67.

No comments:

Post a Comment